Sunday, February 08, 2004

True Knowledge

I have begun reading Calvin's Institutes in small chunks in the morning. I decided that, due to coursework and other constraints, in the next year and a half or so I will not get the chance to get a clear run at it.

I.I.1-3
Calvin begins with the notion of true knowledge. There are only two kinds: that of self and that of God. Each is intimately related to the other. A seeking of self necessarily leads to thoughts of God, unless consciously repressed. An understanding of God brings clarity to the true nature of self.

Drawing on the Prophets, the striking observation Calvin makes is that to see God more clearly results in fear of one’s life. Why? Because one becomes starkly aware of one’s residual corruption. These were not people who were outsiders to God’s covenant. Yet they were in fear. What of today, of those under the New Covenant administration?

No comments: