Monday, March 01, 2004

Can Calvin Be Disappointing?

Calvin's Institutes I.VIII.5-10
Calvin attempts to argue that the miracles of the Pentateuch attest to the divine provenance of Moses’ writings. This is a section I find a little disappointing. I find the argument a little weak and unconvincing. He relies on the notion that the people of Israel were eyewitnesses to the miracles and therefore the survival of the accounts comes down to the absence of disagreement by other participants in the accounts. This rather depends on when Moses wrote the accounts. After the 40 years in the wilderness there would have remained a generation who would not have been eyewitnesses, but would have had the stories passed down to them.

Not that I disagree with his conclusion. Instead there must be better arguments that could be made. I just need to find them!

The account of the providential hand of God in preserving the Scriptures in the inter-testamental period is interesting.

No comments: