Wednesday, March 24, 2004

The Passion ... Again

I had a brief discussion with someone this evening about The Passion. This person, a Christian of some years, was advocating that loads of us from our church should go and see it. I asked him whether the second commandment was an issue for him. It wasn't. The prize, for him, is the evangelistic opportunity. I pressed home the point that the message that is conveyed cannot reflect the balance of Scripture, and more importantly fills the mind with man-made visual images of Christ's life and death. To his credit he did pause and think. I'm not sure he had met this kind of resistance before.

Due to other things we did not get much further.

I think what amazes me is that this evangelical, and, it seems to me, most others, do not even consider whether the 2nd commandment is being broken - it does not enter their thinking. I can have respect for someone who has considered the issue and has come to an alternative conclusion to mine. However, respecting evangelicals who do not know their bible well enough to know that there is an issue is a different proposition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely by the same principle (2nd commandment), you should not be unloading images of yourself?